October 2013 to Present – Greater NY City Area, Montclair, NJ
Provide basic business communications, writing, social media & video production
- Business Communications: Marketing, resumes, cv’s, cover letters, newsletters, brochures, basic design
- Social Media: Set up social media accounts. Active on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, YouTube. Original content producer. Content curation.
- Video: A-Z planning and production
SELECTED VIDEO PRODUCTION SAMPLES:
National Iranian American Council – NIAC
NE Regional Chair, National Iranian American Council (volunteer) | NIACAction.org /2015-present
- Strategize, plan and implement grassroots efforts in NY, NJ, PA, MD, VA, DC.
- Manage 5 volunteer state captains.
- Build community and coalitions to improve campaign outcomes.
- Educate public about NIAC’s mission, goals, campaigns, and accomplishments.
NJ Captain, National Iranian American Council (volunteer) | NIACouncil.org / 2013-present
- Oversee grassroots efforts and community building activities for New Jersey.
- Led campaign supporting the Iran Deal, petitions, senate legislative meetings.
Various Projects, Shiraz, Iran | mariaafsharian.com / 2005-2013
- Relocated back to birthplace Shiraz, Iran after father passed away, who lived there.
- Worked on various volunteer NGO, philanthropic
Founder, MAHAK Charity Shiraz | mahak-charity.org/main-en/ / 2007-present
- Proposed /developed first branch of MAHAK Charity Pediatric Cancer Organization.
- Funded by MAHAK branch – jobs created for women who help hundreds of patients.
- Serves as the model for other MAHAK branch offices in Iran.
- Has OFAC license through US Government through ISCC Charity Organization.
- MAHAK is recognized by the UN as one of the best NGO’s in the Middle
Various positions, NBC Universal, Washington, DC | nbcnews.com/dateline / 1997-2005
Producer, Insider Reports, Dateline NBC / 2003-2005
Associate Producer, Dateline NBC / 2003-2005
Intern Coordinator, Dateline NBC / 2003-2005
Assistant Producer, Dateline NBC / 2001-2003
Researcher, Dateline NBC / 1998-2001
Production Manager, Dateline NBC (temporary position) / 1998-1999
Newscast Assistant, NBC News DC Affiliate -WRC / 1997-1998
Intern, Dateline NBC | nbcwashington.com / Summer 1997
- Worked on 60+ segments for national television news magazine, Dateline NBC.
- Conducted research, pitched stories, managed production, crew, interviews.
- Recipient of several national journalism awards.
Marketing Assistant, USA TODAY Newspaper, Newington, VA | USAToday.com / 1995-1997
- Assisted Marketing and Circulation Directors.
- Organized and implemented team building, community outreach and marketing events.
Public Relations, University Medical Ctr., Dimensions Breast Center, Lubbock, TX / 1993-1995
- Worked with patients referred for mammograms by doctors, scheduled appointments.
- Provided community outreach, public relations and helped plan special events.
- Left to move to Washington, DC area for new opportunity in communications.
Owner / Operator, Action Personnel Resume and Career Services, Lubbock, TX /1988-1993
- Created and managed successful resume service in family owned HR/career agency.
- Left for an opportunity to work in public relations.
American University, DC & Montgomery College, Rockville, MD / 1995-1997
Completed several courses in film, video, production & television news writing
International Business College, Lubbock, TX / 1991-1992
Computer Office Management Certificate
Lubbock Christian University, Lubbock, TX / 1985-1990
BS Business Communications, focusing on public relations and journalism
Campus Edition newspaper contributor and advertising manager
International Association of Business Communicators (IABC.com)
National Iranian American Council, NJ Co-Captain (NIACouncil.org)
NE Regional Chair (NY, NJ, PA, MD, PA)
NJ State Captain
Iranian-American Women Foundation (IAWFoundation.org)
NY Chapter Social Media Committee Member, NY Conference Committee Member
Building One America (BuildingOneAmerica.org)
Leadership Training and Community Organizing
Professional Association of Resume Writers (PARW.com)
CERTIFICATIONS / LICENSES
National Real Estate Referral Group, Madison, NJ (nrerg.com)
Referral New Jersey real estate license
Goft-va-Shnood English Institute, Shiraz, Iran
Teaching English as a Second Language
Islamic Republic of Iran Ministry of Higher Education
Iranian accreditation of B.S. Business Communications degree earned in the United States
- Social Media: Content creation, marketing, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, LinkedIn
- Writing: Letters, resumes, CV’s, business communications, bios, reports, typing
- Video: A-Z production, planning, booking, interviewing, videotaping, transcription, editing, posting
- Web: Data mining, research, analytics, digital marketing, networking
- Computer: Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google, Mac, PC, Chrome, Safari etc.
- Tools: Hootsuite, Buzz Sumo, Buffer, Canva graphic design, Weebly web design, iMovie
- American English, native
- Farsi or Persian, professional working proficiency